POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Solar Sail : Re: Solar Sail Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar Sail
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 4 Sep 2000 10:17:57
Message: <39B3AF73.66532F1F@istar.ca>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I remembered having seen something similar in a star trek episode some time ago
> and did some research:
>
> http://clgray.simplenet.com/strtrk/stpics/otherstr/lightship.jpg

I've seen this, but I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible. I posted my images
on www.scifi-art.com, and was told that mine was one of the first solar sails that
wasn't a derivative of the trek sail. I like the ship a lot, though...

> Your model seems to lack some sort of steering sail, but the detail work near
> the center is really impressive.

I've been debating this a bit on www.scifi-art.com. Some think that a solar
'rudder' would not work, and others that it would work, but would require a huge
turning radius (couple of lightyears. Ouch.). Some have reccomended chemical
thrusters for navigation, but I'd rather stick to light as much as possible.

Anyone have steering ideas?

Simon